CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What is a Synonym for Geek?

Hi, this is Brett. (There's some foreshadowing for you.)

So a couple of nights ago, I was putting Colin to bed, and we ended up talking about synonyms. Don't ask why. Colin just enjoys learning new things. So I taught him all sorts of interesting pairs such as the following:

head/noggin
nose/schnoz
house/home
ship/boat
mom/mother
dad/father

I quizzed him on some words, and he was able to get them right. For example:

street/road
pacifier/binky/buddy/feer (Colin’s own word for pacifier, derived from the “fier”—he couldn’t say pacifier when he was young.)

So then last night, just as I was finishing the business of tucking Colin in to bed, I was anticipating that Colin would want to read a book or have me make up a story. Out of the blue, Colin said, "Dad, tell me some synonyms." I was delighted to teach him some other synonyms such as twelve/dozen, thirteen/baker’s dozen, sleep/rest, and others. Again, I quizzed Colin, and he did pretty well coming up with synonyms on his own. Colin then decided that he wanted to quiz me. He said, "Dad, what's a synonym for rhombus?" I was on my heels, but I responded, "diamond." He was like, "Yeah, diamond. Good job!" The next question was, “Dad, what’s a synonym for Henry B. Eyring?” I said, “Apostle,” which seemed to be adequate to Colin. I felt like I was on Are You Smarter Than a 4-Year-Old, or something.

So I know what you are thinking. What’s a synonym for geek? We all know that answer to that question, me.

4 comments:

Natalie

No, I was thinking, "What's a synonyn for boy genius? That would be Colin"

Nicole

he is so impressive, good luck keeping his mind busy.

Becca Gilbert

Bret that's awesome! PS I get so many compliments on how well designed the family calendar is! I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for doing that for us! And I cannot believe how smart Collin is! You and Necia are great parents!!!!

Rachael

what a cool game! i am totally going to try that. and seriously, colin is such a sharp kid! i remember when we lived by you guys neil would always say, "man, that kid is smart!" every time he saw colin.