CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 24, 2007

What Time is it? Party Time!!!

Brett is finally done with finals, and that can only mean one thing, PARTY TIME, School's out Scream and Shout! We were finally able to celebrate Colin's Birthday. We have never really done anything big for his birthday, just family stuff mostly. So this year we decided to do something a little bigger. Living in Minnesota, where it is too cold to go outside for a good part of the year, has some nice perks. They have amazing indoor activities. One of our favorites is this indoor park called Lookout Ridge.

Basically it is a three-storey-high labyrinth of tubes, slides, passages, obstacles, and a bounce house.

The best part about it (says Brett) is that not only are adults allowed to play, but they are encouraged to do so—as if Brett would pass for an adult anyway, especially at this place! We met up with some friends of ours and let the kids run wild, and I do mean wild! For us mom's it was especially nice since our kids have all reached the ages and abilities to be able to play here by themselves.

And when they needed help the dad's were on hand and they got to fold themselves in half and climb all the way to the top.

The kids played non stop for two hours. When they were done they were covered in sweat and as pink as could be, which is great since that means they will all sleep so well. After we were done playing we went back to our house for pizza and cake, which sounds easier than it was. The kids were still a little crazy from the park, and of course everyone wanted the same toy, or to ride our roller coaster first, etc... So we were all very happy when the pizza was done and we could make them all sit down and eat. In true kid fashion they finished their pizza long before the adults could even start, so we sent them into the living room while we ate. This of course led to the never ending parade of children coming back into the kitchen to complain about something somebody did to someone. The best was when my friend Jeni's little girl Ellie (2) came in and was just crying and complaining incoherently. The only words I could understand were "pink boots". Just then Ian comes walking into the kitchen wearing her pink, fur trimmed boots, and she was not happy about it. It was a good thing we were able to calm her down with out giving her back the boots because Ian refused to take them off.

So after all this chaos we decided it was time to have cake and get the kids home and in bed. A few weeks ago Colin decided he wanted a train cake, and I have a cake pan that makes a miniature train with nine cars, so I decided to make that cake for him. (It actually almost didn't happen since Ian managed to sneak past Brett that morning and eat three of the train cars, including the engine. I barely had enough time to remake the cake and decorate it before the party. It didn't turn out like I wanted it to, but I was pressed for time). All of the kids were so excited to eat the train. They knew what piece they wanted and made sure we knew about it. We sang happy birthday, which just sounds better with a chorus of kids, and Colin blew out his candles. ( I am not sure why he is wearing my oven mitts!)

We dished out the train cars and had enough so everyone was able to get the car they wanted. After cake we decided to open presents. Actually Ian had already opened one and was looking for more. (This is why I have no presents under my Christmas tree yet.) While Colin was looking at the present Ian had already opened, Ian managed to steal another from Brett and opened that one as well. We finally had to hold him back so Colin could open the last one. I guess it is pay back for all the times Colin has helped him over the years. After this it was time for everyone to leave. This takes a long time since everyone goes through all the movies we have and takes the ones they want to watch, and then we have to get all the kids bundled up to go outside (which is a lot harder in Minnesota than it ever was in Utah, there is so much stuff to put on). Then came the drama, it was time for Ian to give back the pink boots. He really didn't want to take them off and when I finally had to force them off he threw himself on the floor crying for the boots. The only way I could calm him down is to say we would go get him some boots (which he needed anyway) Does any one know where I can buy masculine, pink fur trimmed boots? Anyone? All in all I think it was Colin's best birthday ever.

1 comments:

Nicole

maybe we should try brown boots or even camo boots, you never know what pink fur boots will do to a kid later in life.